A quintessential part of Asian cuisine, tofu has become a common ingredient for vegans and healthy diet fans all over the world as it is high in protein and low in calories.
The tofu you buy from the grocery store is made from coagulated soybean milk and pressed into soft blocks with a lot of moisture inside. To create crispy and delicious tofu flavor, you need to push it with a tofu presser to eliminate as much water as possible.
If you have got a plan to buy a tofu press but have no idea which to choose, you must be lucky today as I am going to write on the best tofu reviews in 2021 in this article.
All of the information is based on thousands of customer reviews, advice from cooking masters, and my own experience. Let’s scroll down to start!
What Is a Tofu Press?
A tofu press is a handy kitchen tool used to apply consistent pressure on the tofu and remove the moisture from tofu blocks. The pressing process makes it dense and better textured for cooking.
Tofu press often comes in two types: box style and plate style. Each class has particular strengths and weaknesses that I will discuss further in the buying guide part later.
What is The Best Tofu Press?
A tofu press is an indispensable gadget in the kitchen of vegans’ diet. But there are numerous models of tofu press that are sold out there. It must be confusing to choose the right product if you have no experience buying it.
But don’t worry about it as I have done the time-consuming research for you. After scanning thousands of comments and reviews, I can summarize a shortlist of the best tofu presses to buy in 2021 below.
- Best Overall: EZ Tofu Press
“Affordable, simple to use, works well with all sizes of tofu block, dishwasher-friendly.”
- Best Budget: Tofu Press 2-Spring Model for EXTRA FIRM Tofu Press
“Curved plates; two springs for easy setup, large knobs to adjust tension, dishwasher safe, low price.”
- Best for Pressing Overnight: ToFuture 93340 Tofu Press
“Stylish and compact design, adjust tension using rubber band, no mess with a drip tray, versatile, easy to clean .”
- Best Stainless Steel: Raw Rutes Tofu Press (Ninja)
“Ultra-heavy pressing weight, durable stainless steel parts, sleek design, perfectly retains tofu block in shape.”
- Best Bamboo: Kimono Kitchen Bamboo Tofu Press
“Solid eco-friendly bamboo boards, even and firm pressing, easy to insert with two springs, instructional booklet available.”
- Best for Pressure: Tofu Press 4-Spring Model for EXTRA FIRM Tofu
“Curved plates, four springs spread the force evenly, simple tension adjustment, durable, easy to clean.”
Tofu Press Comparison Table 2021
Dropping in a grocery store to buy a satisfying tofu press is a big challenge without a targeted on in mind. Therefore, I recommend you to take a glance at the comparison table below to see the full list of the 15 best tofu presses as well as their general specifications.
|Best Tofu Presses||Style||Dimensions (inches)||Weight||Material||Color|
|EZ Tofu Press - Best Overall||Plate||9 x 5.8 x 4||1.1 pounds||Plastic||White|
|Tofu Press 2-Spring Model for EXTRA FIRM Tofu - Best Budget||Plate||10.4 x 6.9 x 5.5||2.53 pounds||Plastic||White|
|ToFuture 93340 Tofu Press - Best for Pressing Overnight||Box||6.3 x 4.9 x 3.5||3.52 ounces||Plastic||Green & white|
|Raw Rutes Tofu Press (Ninja) - Best Stainless Steel||Box||4.1 x 3.1 x 2.5||6 pounds||Stainless steel||Silver|
|Kimono Kitchen Bamboo Tofu Press - Best Bamboo||Plate||10.2 x 5.7 x 4.5||1.99 pounds||Bamboo||Wood brown|
|Tofu Press 4-Spring Model for EXTRA FIRM Tofu - Best for Pressure||Plate||10.3 x 6.8 x 5.6||2.55 pounds||Plastic||White|
|The Super Tofu Press by TofuPresser||Plate||8.5 x 4.5 x 4.5||1.2 pounds||Plastic||White|
|Tofu Tamer Premium Four Post Tofu Press||Plate||9 x 5.5 x 5.3||2 pounds||Plastic||White|
|YARKOR Tofu Press||Box||6.9 x 4.9 x 4||15.2 ounces||Plastic||Green & white|
|TofuXpress Gourmet Tofu Press||Box||5 x 5 x 5||1.05 pounds||Thermoplastic||Transparent|
|Glue Theory Simple Drip Tofu Press||Plate||18.4 x 9.6 x 9||2.35 pounds||Plastic||White|
|Bamboo Simple Drip Tofu Press by Glue Theory||Plate||11.5 x 7.4 x 7.2||1.85 pounds||Bamboo||Wood brown|
|Yilador Ultimate Tofu Press Drainer||Plate||6.9 x 4.9 x 3.9||15 ounces||Plastic||Green & white|
|Simple Wooden Food Press Mold Kit||Box||11 x 7.2 x 2.5||1.76 pounds||Bamboo||Wood brown|
|That Tofu Thing Tofu Press||Plate||6.9 x 5.2 x 3.4||13.4 ounces||Plastic||White|
Top 15 Best Tofu Press Reviews 2021
There are multiple criteria that you should take into consideration before paying your money for a product. To understand the specific features, benefits, and risks of each Tofu Press, just scroll down a bit for the comprehensive reviews.
1. EZ Tofu Press
The EZ Tofu Press is an easy-to-use gadget that deserves a place in your kitchen cabinet thanks to the user-friendly design that helps you extract water from the tofu in some simple steps.
What I love the most about this tofu press is that it takes much less time than the spring versions. What’s more, the centering mark allows precise placement of the tofu for even pressing every time.
- Remove the moisture from tofu in just 15 minutes
- Fit almost every size of tofu bricks
- A centering mark allows for accurate tofu placement on the bottom plate
- Stainless steel grommets on the top plate for smooth pressing
- Dishwasher-friendly components
- BPA-free plastic slabs with USDA approval
- Simple to use with a centering mark and grommets
- Easy to clean
- Comes with a manual guide
- The price is reasonable
- It doesn’t apply even pressure like the box-style press
- It requires you to turn the screws every two minutes repeatedly
|Manufacturer||EZ Tofu Press|
|Dimensions||9 x 5.8 x 4 inches|
|Highlight Features||Large size; centering mark for exact placement; no spring or band required; easy to clean; reasonable price|
2. Tofu Press 2-Spring Model for EXTRA FIRM Tofu Press
The Tofu Press 2-spring Model manufactured by 5 Star North is worth considering if you want to buy a high-efficiency tofu press with a limited budget.
The most distinctive attribute of this model is the curved plates, which prevents uneven pressure on the tofu.
Moreover, it comes fully assembled for ease of use. The large wing knobs allow for simple turning, along with two springs to keep the plates apart so that you can insert the tofu brick more easily.
- Plates start flat and end up curved for even and firm pressing
- Well-designed wing knobs
- Two springs make it easy to place the tofu in
- Constructed of FDA approved BPA-free plastic and durable stainless steel
- Robust design, made for longevity
- Press the tofu evenly and firmly
- Easy to set up and adjust
- It comes with five cooking recipes
- Dishwasher safe
- Need to tight the screws instantly
|Manufacturer||5 Star North, LLC|
|Dimensions||10.4 x 6.9 x 5.5 inches|
|Highlight Features||Curved plate; durable food-grade materials; two springs; extra-large knobs; easy to clean|
3. ToFuture 93340 Tofu Press
(Best for Pressing Overnight)
I love the cute box-style design of the ToFuture 93340 Tofu Press. Thanks to the small size, you can simply press the tofu overnight and leave everything in the fridge for better storage.
Unlike the plate-style, the Tofuture press will leave no mess because all of the water is collected in a bottom container. Moreover, it can be used as a tofu mold if you want to make your own tofu at home.
- Two boxes and one lid with rubber bands to adjust the tension
- Made of 100% BPA-free plastic
- Compact size that fits the fridge
- Water is collected in the outer container
- Modern design
- It leaves no mess in your kitchen or fridge
- Easy to clean
- You can leave it all day and overnight
- It is flimsy with fragile handles
- It takes longer time to press the tofu than the other products
|Dimensions||6.3 x 4.9 x 3.5 inches|
|Color||Green & white|
|Highlight Features||Ideal for overnight pressing in the fridge; stylish design; drip tray available; easy to clean|
4. Raw Rutes Tofu Press Ninja
(Best Stainless Steel)
In case you want to replace your broken plastic tofu press at home, you should not miss the Raw Rutes Tofu Press (Ninja). The tofu press made from premium FDA-approved stainless steel proves to be the most robust option in this list.
The design of Raw Rutes tofu drainer is probably the simplest of all, with only two components: a box containing the tofu and a thick lid to apply pressure on it.
Thanks to the box-style design, the tofu’s shape is retained even when pressed with heavyweights.
- Made of 304-grade stainless steel
- Remove water out of the tofu without losing the brick shape
- High pressing power up to 5 lbs
- The box has exit portals for water
- Super sturdy and corrosion-resistant
- Sleek design
- Easy to use
- It retains the shape of the tofu
- It removes less water than other plate-style plastic press
- It is difficult to control the pressure
|Dimensions||4.1 x 3.1 x 2.5 inches|
|Highlight Features||High-quality stainless steel material; stylish design; easy to use; retains the block in perfect shape|
5. Kimono Kitchen Bamboo Tofu Press
The Kimono Kitchen Bamboo Tofu Press is featured with two solid bamboo plates and stainless steel hardware. All of them are super durable and rust-free, so you can press the tofu again and again without any cracking or bending.
Your tofu can be pressed in only about 6-15 minutes to be marinade-ready. The plates fit a variety of tofu block’s size with a pressing area of 6.5” x 5”.
- Eco-friendly bamboo plates and food-grade stainless steel components
- Durable bamboo boards that never crack or bend
- Press the tofu in 6-15 minutes
- An instructional booklet available
- Thick and solid bamboo boards
- Quick draining
- Non-toxic materials
- Super easy to clean
- It requires you to tighten the screws continually
- It is difficult to twist the screws
|Dimensions||10.2 x 5.7 x 4.5 inches|
|Highlight Features||Quick pressing; robust bamboo boards; easy to use and clean; manual guide and recipes booklet available|
6. Tofu Press 4-Spring Model for EXTRA FIRM Tofu
(Best for Pressure)
I have already shown you the 2-spring tofu drainer by 5 Star North as the “best budget” option above. And here comes another version of it that helps you to press the tofu more evenly and firmly with four springs in total.
There are not many differences in comparison to the 2-spring model. Both of them have distinctively curved plates and large knobs for more effortless adjustment.
The two new springs on the top work like shock absorbers to prevent cracking, and distribute the force more evenly on the upper plate.
- Curved plates to apply more pressure to the center of the tofu block
- Four springs absorb the force and distribute it equally
- Extra-wide wing knobs
- Made of durable BPA-free plastic and stainless steel
- Unique plates design for better press
- Easy to use
- It comes with a user manual and recipes
- One-year warranty
- The tofu might crumble if you apply too much force
- It needs constant screw tightening
|Manufacturer||5 Star North, LLC|
|Dimensions||10.3 x 6.8 x 5.6 inches|
|Highlight Features||Curved plates; wide wing knobs; four springs for better tofu texture; user-friendly; easy clean-up|
7. The Super Tofu Press by TofuPresser
Another terrific plate-style tofu press I want to introduce in this article is the Super Tofu Press by TofuPresser. It is made of BPA-free HDPE plastic, which means no harmful chemicals can affect your tofu.
The 4-spring design ensures the firmness and delicate texture of the tofu. The manufacturer claims that it would take you 15 minutes or less to drain the tofu and retain all of the essential nutrients.
- The 4-spring technology for equal pressure
- Better tofu texture and flavor in just 15 minutes
- More stability with four footpads
- Made of materials that are safe for your health
- Easy to insert the tofu between the plates
- Quick result
- Wide screw threads for simple adjustment
- It is dishwasher safe, up to 50,000 cycles
- The size is too small for regular and large tofu blocks
|Dimensions||8.5 x 4.5 x 4.5 inches|
|Highlight Features||Four-spring design; quick pressing in 15 minutes or less; footpads provide stability; easy to clean|
8. Tofu Tamer Premium Four Post Tofu Press
If you have used the two-post flat-plate tofu press before, you might notice that the sometimes final results are a bit crooked tofu bricks due to the uneven pressure. That’s why the Tofu Tamer Premium Four Post Tofu Press was created.
The four-post design ensures that the force is distributed evenly in all of the four corners. As a result, you will get perfectly dense tofu blocks in just 10-15 minutes.
Tightening four knobs every couple of minutes seems quite inconvenient, but it is totally worth it!
- BPA-free USDA food-grade plastic plates
- Rust-resistant stainless steel components
- Special footpads to keep it stable
- Four posts apply even pressure on the tofu
- Robust construction
- Press your tofu quickly and evenly
- Easy to clean
- One-year warranty included
- It is hard to place the tofu in as there is no spring
- It is not convenient to adjust four knobs
|Dimensions||9 x 5.5 x 5.3 inches|
|Highlight Features||Durable and safe materials; four-post construction; easy to clean; footpads available|
9. YARKOR Tofu Press
Box-style tofu presses are invented to drain the tofu with maximum convenience and minimum mess. The Yarkor Tofu Press is not an exception.
The press consists of a water collecting tray, a middle filter with drainage holes on it, and a top lid. A powerful spring is attached at the bottom to push up all of the contents. Your tofu will be ready for frying in about 30 minutes using the Yarkor’s.
- Built-in drainage holes let water drip into the collecting tray
- Durable anti-corrosion spring at the bottom
- Constant pressure
- Made of durable BPA-free plastic
- It leaves no mess
- Easy to use
- No need to tighten the screws like plate-style ones
- 30 days of 100% money-back guarantee
- It is too small to handle large tofu bricks
|Dimensions||6.9 x 4.9 x 4 inches|
|Highlight Features||Box-style tofu press with a drip tray; constant pressure; powerful rust-free spring; easy to use and clean|
10. TofuXpress Gourmet Tofu Press
If you are a fan of multi-purpose kitchen gadgets, the TofuXpress Gourmet Tofu Press must be included in your buying list. It can be used to press tofu, shredded cabbage, spinach, cheese, and so on.
The separate lid also works as a marinating dish to add more flavor to the contents. Furthermore, the tofu express is self-contained, which means no additional bowl required to collect the drip.
- Made of FDA-approved food-grade quality plastic
- Can be used to press a variety of ingredients
- Comes with two spring tension options
- The water is contained inside and can be poured out easily
- No additional bowl needed
- Easy to use
- Very versatile
- All of the components are removable
- Dishwasher safe
- It is fragile
- It cannot contain large size tofu blocks
|Dimensions||5 x 5 x 5 inches|
|Highlight Features||Two spring options; super versatile; self-contained; easy to use; can be taken apart for storage; dishwasher safe|
11. Glue Theory Simple Drip Tofu Press
The Glue Theory plate-style tofu drainer is an ideal choice if you don’t want to place the tofu press on the sink or a bowl every single time.
I bet you will love the attachable drip tray that has numerous holes on it to collect the extracted water. Now everything is mess-free, and you can focus more on the rest of your meals. Moreover, the large plates allow for all sizes of tofu blocks.
- Durable BPA-free plastic and stainless steel parts
- Water collecting tray available
- Precision aligned holes on the beneath slab to drain water
- Easy-to-turn handles give you control on the tension
- The water is collected neatly
- Durable and solid construction
- Effortlessly adjust the tension
- It fits all sizes of tofu bricks
- Some users complain that it doesn’t dry the tofu well
|Dimensions||18.4 x 9.6 x 9 inches|
|Highlight Features||Durable BPA-free components; drip tray available; large-sized plates; easy to use, clean up.|
12. Bamboo Simple Drip Tofu Press by Glue Theory
Another option for you to consider putting in your shopping cart is the Bamboo Simple Drip Tofu Press. This is literally the bamboo model of plastic tofu drainer from Glue Theory I have just mentioned above.
The tofu drainer is super easy to use and clean up. Besides, a drip tray is available to catch the water and keeps your kitchen from a mess. The press is fantastic, isn’t it?
- Made of high-quality bamboo and stainless steel
- A drip tray available to contain water
- Precision aligned holes on the plate
- Convenient screw handles to adjust the pressure
- No more mess and stress in your kitchen
- Durable and solid construction
- The material is non-toxic and eco-friendly
- Easy to clean
- Some users complain that the plate gets cracked after some uses
|Dimensions||11.5 x 7.4 x 7.2 inches|
|Highlight Features||Eco-friendly bamboo tofu drainer; water collecting tray available; easy to use and clean|
13. Yilador Ultimate Tofu Press Drainer
The Yilador Tofu Press is a container-style utensil which offers bother-free and clean draining without repeated adjustment like the plate-style tofu press.
The construction of the Yilador drainer looks similar to most other box-style mentioned in my review, and of course, it has the same working mechanism. Besides, this tofu press is dishwasher and refrigerator safe.
- Made of premium BPA-free plastic
- Powerful spring for consistent pressure
- Built-in drainage holes
- White water collecting tray to avoid making a mess
- Sturdy and durable material
- Easy to use and clean
- Totally mess-free
- Effortless pressing
- Some customers claim it doesn’t press hard enough
|Dimensions||6.9 x 4.9 x 3.9 inches|
|Color||Green & white|
|Highlight Features||Built-in holes; rust-free spring; drip tray available; easy to use and clean; no monitoring and adjustment required|
14. Simple Wooden Food Press Mold Kit
The Simple Wooden Food Press Mold Kit is a traditional tofu press for Asian cuisine fanatics. It requires additional organic cotton cloth and some weights on top to remove the water from the tofu in 30 minutes or some hours.
Probably it is not a high-efficiency and convenient tofu press in comparison with other modern products. But it still proves useful in making plenty of recipes, including sushi, tofu, halloumi, feta, and paneer.
- Composed of two parts: a mold box and a lid
- Ideal for a variety of dishes like tofu, sushi, paneer, cheese, and so on
- It can contain up to 4 quarts of unpressed curds
- Made of BPA-free and eco-friendly material
- Useful for multi-purpose press
- Elegant design
- Large capacity
- Easy clean-up in soapy water
- An e-book on recipes included
- A cotton cloth required to dry out tofu
- It can leave a mess in your kitchen
- You have to use other items to apply weights
|Manufacturer||Country Trading Co.|
|Dimensions||11 x 7.2 x 2.5 inches|
|Highlight Features||Multi-purpose; stylish design; durable bamboo mold box; easy to clean; large capacity|
15. That Tofu Thing Tofu Press
The last tofu press that you should consider comes from That Tofu Thing. That is a handy single-screw clamp tofu press that can make your tofu ready for marinades in 15 minutes or less.
It also comes with a water collecting tray so that you can press the tofu horizontally or keep it vertical on a dish or sink.
- Lattice panels allow for rapid drying
- The single screw offers better control
- A drip tray available for collecting water
- Made of premium UK engineering plastic
- Incredible durability
- Great monitor, you can feel the tofu’s density
- Water can escape from any sides of the block
- 30 days of 100% money-back guarantee
- Some users complain it doesn’t press the tofu tightly
|Manufacturer||That tofu thing|
|Dimension||6.9 x 5.2 x 3.4 inches|
|Highlight Features||Lattice panels; built-in water collecting tray; single-screw clamp; easy to use and clean|
Top Things to Consider When Buying a Tofu Press
Silk tofu contains a lot of water that needs removing before you apply marinades to the curd. A tofu press is a fantastic utensil to get that job done in less than an hour. Here are some buying criteria to consider if you want to buy an excellent tofu press.
Type – Depending on your particular demand, you might prefer box-style tofu press to plate-style one or vice versa.
The box-style press usually requires more waiting time, but it is refrigerator-friendly, and you don’t need to continually adjust the tension.
The plate-style press can save tons of your cooking time. A tofu block can be dried in just 15 minutes or less. But it might leave an unexpected mess in your kitchen if there is no drip tray to collect the water.
Pressure – It is literally the name of the gadget. There are many tofu drainers on the market with different ways of pressing the tofu, such as spring, rubber bands, tension knobs, and so on. All you need is a drainer that offers as even and firm pressure on the tofu as possible.
Material – Plastics seem to be the most popular material used to make a tofu drainer. It allows for a low price but can be bent or break if you drop it. Bamboo and stainless steel tofu presses are worth an investment if you are looking for durability.
Size – It is crucial to find a tofu press that can handle various sizes of tofu bricks so that you don’t need to cut them into smaller pieces.
Easy Clean-Up – I strongly recommend you to buy tofu drainer that is dishwasher safe or can be disassembled for throughout cleaning. Fortunately, every product I have shown you above is qualified for this provision.
Durability – Obviously, no one would love to buy a fragile tofu press that falls apart only after some uses. Make sure you choose a robust tofu drainer that has no user’s complaint about its durability.
How to Use a Tofu Press
Different types of tofu press need distinct manipulation to achieve a desirable result. Let’s take a glance at the steps you should take you a tofu press properly.
- Attach the bottom water container to the press
- Put the tofu in the green box
- Place the box on the spring in the bottom container
- Put the lid on the top and clip the buckle
- Keep it in the fridge for some hours or more
- When it is done, pour the water away, release the lock and remove your tofu to cook it
- Unscrewed the press
- Place the tofu block between the two plates in the center, then put tofu press on
- Tighten knobs until they reach the tofu block with proper tension, you can see the water starts to squeeze out
- Keep the tofu stand on its side to speed up the process
- Tighten knobs every 2 minutes for about 15 minutes until it gets the desired thickness
There are multiple tofu pressing tips you need to master before making the perfect plant-based meals. Here are several FAQs on tofu press that you may find useful.
My Top Pick
All things considered, my favorite choice is the EZ Tofu Press for the “best tofu press” label due to its user-friendly design, short pressing time, and a reasonable price in comparison with other options.
If you are a tofu fan, and find my reviews useful, feel free to click the share buttons to spread the value to the community.
Here comes the end of my best tofu reviews. Any questions or suggestions can be dropped in the comment section for instant responses.