Why Should You Own the Asian Cookbooks?
With the rapid development of technology, you can effortlessly search any recipes you want on the Internet. However, I highly recommend owning a cookbook with your favorite dishes instead of searching online.
The biggest reason I want to mention is that it can be difficult for you to find inspiration among the countless cooking websites on the Internet.
Also, you can turn over the pages again and again or bookmark your favorite recipes. Furthermore, cookbooks are more than just recipes. They will teach you the basics of cooking, and other interesting information such as historical knowledge, funny stories, tips, and techniques for better cooking.
What Benefits Does Asian Cookbook Bring to You?
- Discover multiple different countries cuisines
- Learn more tips, techniques that make dishes better
- Serve your family's meals by yourself
- May help you keep your patience and relax
- Inspire your creativity
- Provide you with historical knowledge or other interesting information
- You can ensure the safety and health of dishes
The cookbook will change your cooking habit, and you may become more professional with your pan, and more importantly, you can serve your family with many delicious meals by yourself.
What Are the Best Asian Cookbook to Buy?
The best Asian cookbook for Korean dishes is the book of author Maangchi. This book contains not only recipes of famous dishes but also other dishes. Furthermore, these recipes are easy to make at home.
For Chinese dishes, Chris Toy's book is the right choice because it is perfect for beginners to learn to cook. Besides, the ingredients for the recipe are not too difficult to buy.
Here are the top 15 best Asian cookbooks on the market.
- Best Overall: 101 Authentic Recipes Asian Cookbook
“The best cookbooks by the Los Angeles Times in 2017, great simple Asian recipes, tips about flavors, techniques, and straightforward instructions.”
- Best Budget: The Steamy Kitchen Asian Cookbook
“A wide range of great Asian recipes for dinner, easy ways to make dishes, helpful suggestions, offer over 100 recipes.”
- Best for Beginners: Sushi The Beginner’s Guide Asian Cookbook
“Detailed instructions to make sushi, temptingly photos, learn how to decorate the dishes, expansive recipes of sushi.”
- Best for Noodles: Pho Recipes Asian Cookbook
“The winner of the 2018 James Beard Foundation Book Award competition, traditional Vietnamese Pho recipes, a stunning and comprehensive cookbook.”
- Best for Street Food: Thai Street Food Asian Cookbook
“For Thailand’s street dishes lovers, contains 100 authentic dishes, enticing pictures for each dish, full of full of delighted photos.”
- Best for Vegans: Southern Vegan Asian Cookbook
“Includes 60 popular recipes in South Asia, plant-based diet, easy-to-make recipes, perfect for vegetarians, easy-to-find ingredients.”
- Best for Dumplings: Dumplings Asian Cookbook
“More than 75 recipes, all kinds of steamed, fried or baked dumplings, explain cooking styles, suggest useful tips.”
- Best with Pan: Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge Asian Cookbook
“Have the James Beard Foundation Award prize, classic stir-fries recipes, guide to make ingredients softer and better.”
- Best with Instant Pot: The Filipino Instant Pot Asian Cookbook
“The rich flavor of Filipino cuisine, unique style, offers 75 amazing recipes, easy to follow, remind memories of family gatherings.”
- Best for Health: Easy Chinese Asian Cookbook
“Chinese cooking styles, step-by-step instructions, recommends ingredients substitutions, the well-written book, and beautiful pictures.”
- Best for Diversity: Maangchi’s Big Book Of Korean Asian Cookbook
“The most popular and favorite Korean dishes, colorful, outstanding photos, the unique culture of Korea, the best cookbooks voted by Amazon and Forbes in 2019.”
Best Asian Cookbooks Comparison Chart 2020
The table below shows some comparisons about features, dimensions of the top 15 best Asian cookbooks. Let’s take information that is useful for your purchase.
|Best Asian Cookbooks||Dimensions||Weight||Cooking Style|
|101 Authentic Recipes Asian Cookbook - Best Overall||7.9 x 0.4 x 9 inches||1.4 pounds||Asian|
|The Steamy Kitchen Asian Cookbook - Best Budget||9 x 1 x 10 inches||2.2 pounds||Asian|
|Sushi The Beginner’s Guide Asian Cookbook - Best for Beginners||8.4 x 0.6 x 9.2 inches||1.4 pounds||Japanese|
|Pho Recipes Asian Cookbook - Best for Noodles||8.3 x 0.7 x 9.3 inches||1.6 pounds||Vietnamese|
|The Chinese Takeout Asian Cookbook||7.7 x 0.8 x 9.3 inches||1.8 pounds||Chinese|
|The Kimchi Chronicles Asian Cookbook||7.7 x 0.9 x 9.4 inches||2 pounds||Korean|
|Thai Street Food Asian Cookbook - Best for Street Food||10.9 x 1.2 x 13.2 inches||5.6 pounds||Thailand|
|Southern Vegan Asian Cookbook - Best For Vegans||8 x 0.4 x 9 inches||1 pound||Southern Asian|
|Dumplings Asian Cookbook - Best for Dumpling||7.5 x 0.8 x 11 inches||2.2 pounds||Asian|
|Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge Asian Cookbook - Best with Pan||7.8 x 1 x 10 inches||3 pounds||Chinese|
|The Filipino Instant Pot Asian Cookbook - Best with Instant Pot||7.9 x 0.6 x 9.9 inches||1 pound||Philippine|
|Easy Chinese Asian Cookbook - Best for Health||7.5 x 0.7 x 9.3 inches||13.8 ounces||Chinese|
|Maangchi’s Big Book Of Korean Asian Cookbook - Best for Diversity||7.9 x 1.4 x 10 inches||3.7 pounds||Korean|
|Indian-ish Asian Cookbook||7.9 x 1.1 x 10 inches||1 pound||Indian|
|Everyday Thai Cooking Asian Cookbook||9 x 0.9 x 10 inches||2 pounds||Thailand|
Top 15 Best Asian Cookbooks Reviews 2020
Here is the list of the top 15 best Asian cookbooks in the market. Let’s give it a look and pick the best one for you.
1. 101 Authentic Recipes Asian Cookbook
The book is one of the best cookbooks voted by the Los Angeles Times in 2017. As a person with extensive knowledge of Asian cuisine and his real rich experience, the author, Jet Tila, created a book for great simple Asian recipes. The book will help you conquer delicious dishes like Korean BBQ Short Ribs on Coke, Vietnamese Banh Mi Sandwich, and Miso Roasted Black Cod.
Also, you will learn 101 best Asian recipes to impress your friends and your family. Moreover, the author teaches you some chef tips about flavors, techniques, history, and ingredients to help you cook.
- Top 10 best cookbook in 2017 by Los Angeles Times
- Help you to cook authentic, delicious dishes.
- Follow the book to understand the mechanics of these ethnic cuisines.
- 101 Asian recipes
- Have content about the ancient traditions of Asian cuisine
- Provide lots of choices for your dinner
- Useful tips
- Ingredients are easy to find grocery stores
- Straightforward instructions
- The photos are very nice in quality
- You may have to adjust the number of ingredients as some recipes taste too sweet or too sour
- Some recipes miss ingredients
|Number of recipes||101|
|Dimensions of product||7.9 x 0.4 x 9 inches|
Here is a video reviewing about the book:
2. The Steamy Kitchen Asian Cookbook
The steamy cookbook covers a wide range of great Asian recipes for your dinner. It includes Firecracker Shrimp, Pork & Mango Potstickers, Quick Vietnamese Chicken Pho, and more to meet your demands.
The author will show you the steps to creating healthy Asian stews in natural ways. With helpful suggestions, exciting recipes, and precise instructions from the author, you can film Asian cuisine entirely.
- Offer over 100 recipes
- Quick and easy to preparation
- Impressive photos of dishes
- The ingredients are available at my local supermarket.
- The recipes are easily explained through pictures
- Have ingredient substitutions
- Guide to use steamers
- There is no nutritional info such as calories, carbs, or fat
|Number of recipes||101|
|Dimensions of product||9 x 1 x 10 inches|
3. Sushi The Beginner’s Guide Asian Cookbook
(Best for Beginners)
The sushi cookbook will give you detailed instructions to make delicious sushi, even if you are the beginner. Through the tempting photos, you will find that the sushi-making process has never been more straightforward.
Furthermore, the author discusses tools, dishes, and unique recipes to make vinegar and sauces and decorate the dishes more beautiful and attractive. The menu of sushi recipes is expansive, encompassing hosomaki, saimaki, and all-vegetarian varieties.
- Suitable for the beginner
- Include photos
- Simple to learn
- Have different types of sushi and rolls
- Instructions are clear and concise.
- Great book for a starter
- Also, it’s a good reference book for all people about sushi
- Well description tools, equipment, methods, and dishes
- Include Japanese name of dishes
- If you wish it had a few more sushi roll recipes and ideas, it may not be your best choice
- The sushi cookbook might lack the meaning explanation of different items
|Number of recipes||Not mentioned|
|Dimensions of product||8.4 x 0.6 x 9.2 inches|
4. Pho Recipes Asian Cookbook
(Best for Noodles)
The guidebook writes about Vietnam's Favorite Soup and Noodles that has a name as Pho. It is the winner of the 2018 James Beard Foundation Book Award competition in the "Single Subject" category. The first experience of tasting a traditional Vietnamese Pho nourished the author's love for this unique dish.
In the book, the author takes you back to the past, the origins of Pho through photographs, and then guides you through cooking it at home with detailed ingredients and techniques.
Furthermore, the book offers over 50 different recipes, including snacks, side dishes, and vegetarian dishes, to help you make the right choice for you and your family.
- Have the prize
- Provide 50 recipes and more
- Come with photos and detailed techniques
- Recognized by IACP and NPR as one of the best single-subject books
- Can learn about the history of dishes
- Suitable for Pho beginners
- A stunning and comprehensive guide to cooking Pho
- Have good reviews
- A thorough explanation of all things Pho
- Ingredient lists can be somewhat long
|Number of recipes||50|
|Dimensions of product||8.3 x 0.7 x 9.3 inches|
5. The Chinese Takeout Asian Cookbook
The book brings you a variety of dishes recipes collection with over eighty popular Chinese dishes, including appetizers, main courses, noodles, rice dishes, and desserts. All of them are very easy to prepare and MSG-free.
Besides, the book also gives you how to store ingredients, how to cook dishes, use the pan skillfully, and how to turn these dishes into vegetarian dishes. Colored photos, detailed notes, and historical information about each dish will make it easier and more enjoyable for you when cooking.
- Over eighty dishes recipes
- With color photos and description
- Help you work with wok productively.
- Easy-to-use cookbook
- A diversity of recipes
- The recipes are easy to follow
- A clear explanation of the ingredients and techniques
- Ingredients are available in most store
- You may find that some recipes are not unique; you can search it for free on the Internet
|Number of recipes||Not mentioned|
|Dimensions of product||7.7 x 0.8 x 9.3 inches|
6. The Kimchi Chronicles Asian Cookbook
Korean cuisine has been and is increasingly popular in the world. Famous dishes such as bibimbap and kimchi appear on the menus of many restaurants in different countries. The cookbook will bring you the wonderful taste experiences and authentic cultural traditions of Korea.
Furthermore, it includes recipes for every signature dish, explaining how you can easily create them in your kitchen. The book will also be a useful source of information, the inspiration for any Korean dishes lover.
- Flavors of Korean dishes
- Easy-to-make recipes
- A great recipe book for Korean dishes lovers
- A huge help for cooking Korean dishes
- Great recipes, easy-to-do, and colorful
- It will inspire you to cook, serve, and eat dishes again
- Many attractive illustrations
- There are too few recipes, and they don’t seem to come out well
|Number of recipes||Not mentioned|
|Dimensions of product||7.7 x 0.9 x 9.4 inches|
7. Thai Street Food Asian Cookbook
(Best for Street Food)
The cookbook is for those who love Thailand street dishes. Besides, it contains 100 authentic dishes with enticing pictures that accompany each recipe. This stunning cookbook is the exact guide to Thai culinary street culture for you.
The book not only describes attractive street dishes but also helps you imagine the bustle of street markets.
- Include 100 Thai street dishes recipes
- Inform the tradition source of dishes
- Amazing pictures about dishes and markets
- Full of drool-worthy photos
- All Thai street dishes is available in the book
- Easy substitutions
- Describe the flavors of dishes
- Give ideas and tips to prepare dishes
- The book is a little bigger than most cookbooks
- Some ingredients may not be able to find
|Number of recipes||100|
|Dimensions of product||10.9 x 1.2 x 13.2 inches|
8. Southern Vegan Asian Cookbook
(Best for Vegans)
The vegan cookbook includes 60 popular recipes in South Asia that are processed from plants. The recipe is easy to make and is suitable for the southern-dishes-loving vegan cook. Also, the book will make vegetarian dishes more beautiful and attractive.
Besides, the ingredient can be purchased from my local grocery store. It is perfect for people who want to become vegans.
- Plant-Based Diet
- 60 interesting Southern recipes
- Not too much challenge to follow
- Can make a lot of healthy dishes
- Massive flavor
- No strange ingredients
- A great gift for a new vegan
- The instructions are straightforward
- Not included time-preparation
|Number of recipes||60|
|Dimensions of product||8 x 0.4 x 9 inches|
9. Dumplings Asian Cookbook
(Best for Dumplings)
If you have a passion for Asian dumplings, then this book is the best choice for you. With more than 75 recipes, you can prepare all kinds of steamed, fried, or baked dumplings as long as you want. This book also clearly explains the authentic Asian cooking styles, from spring rolls' Philippine to thin-skinned dumplings of Shanghai.
Furthermore, the author also shares the best techniques for shaping, filling, cooking, and serving for each dumpling. You can make delicious dumplings for your relatives or your friends. The book will give you a great experience with delicious dumplings.
- A wide array of dough-wrapped treats from many countries
- A remarkable book
- The multitude of dumpling cultures
- Notes on useful tips for success
- Help you make a great dessert with dumplings
- Give you the main ingredients and essential equipment
- Suitable both for vegetarians and non-vegetarians
- Have support photographs
- There are not enough recipes of sauces to go with
- Some of the recipes are shortcut recipes
|Number of recipes||More than 75|
|Dimensions of product||7.5 x 0.8 x 11 inches|
Here is a video how to roll wrappers for Asian Dumplings by the author:
10. Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge Asian Cookbook
(Best with Pan)
The cookbook won the James Beard Foundation Award for International Cooking Book in 2011. It is a guide to stir-fries and how to make ingredients softer and better. Moreover, the author shares more than 100 hot and attractive classic stir-fries recipes with Chinese culinary culture like dry stir-fries, moist stir-fries, clear stir-fries, velvet stir-fries.
It also introduces other famous stir-fried dishes in some parts of the world.
- Cover 100 stir-fries recipes
- Classic techniques and dishes of China's regional cuisines
- Have the prize for cooking
- Include great shots of seasoning
- An inspiration book
- Step-by-step instructions
- Explain how to clean and use the wok well
- Change the way you cook
- Can use local ingredient for oversea recipes
- The printing is poor, so it’s hard to read
- No table of contents for Kindle version
|Number of recipes||100|
|Dimensions of product||7.8 x 1 x 10 inches|
11. The Filipino Instant Pot Asian Cookbook
(Best with Instant Pot)
The cookbook gives Filipino cuisine rich flavor when cooked by brazing or prolonged boiling, delicate steam, or other treatment with moist heat. Furthermore, the book is written by home chefs with knowledge of culinary history and their passion and enthusiasm. The pictures in the book have a unique style that evokes a feeling of nostalgia and warmth.
This book will help you to create excellent Philippine dishes with cultural imprint. It is also a book that any chef should not ignore when learning about Asian cuisine.
- Over 75 recipes
- A gift to the international Filipino Dishes
- Includes stories, colorful photos, and historical references
- The fabulous cookbook
- Help any level of cook can make delicious Filipino dishes
- User-friendly and easy to follow
- Quickly preparation
- Relive memories of family gatherings
- Some recipes do not mention how to use ingredients
- The book needs more pictures
|Author||Tisha Gonda Domingo, Jeannie E Celestial, and Romeo Roque-Nido|
|Number of recipes||75|
|Dimensions of product||7.9 x 0.6 x 9.9 inches|
A video guide to make some recipes in the book:
12. Easy Chinese Asian Cookbook
(Best for Health)
If you are a fan of Chinese dishes, you should not skip this book. It offers you over 85 recipes to help you make the restaurant's favorite dishes in your kitchen's comfort. Furthermore, if you are not good at cooking or are a beginner, this book's choice is perfectly reasonable because it has easy step-by-step instructions.
Also, this book recommends ingredients substitutions, and teach you cooking shortcuts to keep recipes fast, easy, and delicious. Your cooking will become so simple and comfortable.
- Authentic, and quality cuisine
- Can find most recipe ingredients in local markets or grocery stores
- With 85 recipes and more
- Have tips as well as some history of Chinese dishes
- Lots of simple and tasty Chinese dishes
- Well written
- Beautiful pictures of dishes throughout the book
- Handy size
- The ingredients are not difficult to find
- Some recipes for the main course may be overwhelmingly sweet
|Number of recipes||Over 85|
|Dimensions of product||7.5 x 0.7 x 9.3 inches|
13. Maangchi’s Big Book Of Korean Asian Cookbook
(Best for Diversity)
The book covers the most popular and favorite Korean dishes, such as barbecue, fried chicken, bulgogi, and bibimbap. The book discovers a variety of dishes from vegan Buddhist mountain temples to creative snacks by street vendors to Korean family meals or even parties.
Accompanying each recipe is colorful, with outstanding photos that let the reader know the exact ingredients they need, the cooking technique, and the dishes' appeal after finishing. Through cuisine, the author also conveys readers the unique culture of Korea. Furthermore, this is also one of the best cookbooks voted by Amazon and Forbes in 2019.
- There are photos of ingredients.
- The explanation is so clear.
- Include traditional cuisine merits
- It was voted as the best cookbook in 2019
- A range of fabulous recipes
- Most of the recipes are low fat low-calorie healthy dishes
- There are color pictures on each page.
- Cover type of course
- All the recipes are approachable and easy to accomplish in a home kitchen
- The book is quite heavy
- The quality of the book is not good with bent corners
|Author||Maangchi, Martha Rose Shulman|
|Number of recipes||Not mentioned|
|Dimensions of product||7.9 x 1.4 x 10 inches|
The review video of the book that you can watch:
14. Indian-ish Asian Cookbook
The book is a collection of easy-to-make, bright, practical, and flavorful hybrid dishes between Indian-Americans such as Roti Pizza, Tomato Rice with Crispy Cheddar. The recipes accompanying the author's funny, witty stories will help you have an enjoyable experience. It is not just a book of really appealing, well-tested, approachable recipes.
Besides, It's about a mother-daughter relationship and the pride in where and who you come. Perhaps that is why the New York Times, Eater, and Bon Appétit rate this as one of the best cookbooks in spring 2019.
- Indian-American dishes
- One of the best cookbook
- An excellent cookbook for anyone who loves Indian dishes
- Best cookbook in spring 2019
- It’s quick to make some recipes
- Give Indian culture into an American public
- Excellent written book and fun to read
- Helpful for the beginner cook
- You can easily pick up ingredients
- The book recommends using canned or frozen ingredients
- You may find the book a bit rambling
|Number of recipes||Not mentioned|
|Dimensions of product||7.9 x 1.1 x 10 inches|
15. Everyday Thai Cooking Asian Cookbook
Katie Chin is the author of the Thai cookbook. Also, she is a chef and culinary writer. In this book, she shares tips, tools, and techniques that are very easy to make Thai dishes at your home. This Thai cookbook gives you more than 100 essential recipes from appetizers to main courses and desserts. Each recipe also includes preparation time, averaging about 30 minutes per recipe.
Furthermore, the book has suggestions for you to replace less common ingredients with more readily available ingredients. Also, the accompanying colorful photos make the dishes more attractive and inspire you to start trying these dishes immediately.
- There are descriptions of different dishes of Thai cooking
- Short preparation time
- Can alternative another ingredient
- Have categories for appetizers, main courses, and desserts
- The techniques and photos are marvelous
- The recipes are quick and straightforward
- Cook time is not very long
- Insightful cook’s tips
- The flavor is amazing
- The nutritional values are not in the book
|Number of recipes||100|
|Dimensions of product||9 x 0.9 x 10 inches|
Because there are so many cookbooks in a market, you should be careful to choose the cookbook that suitable for you. So, I give you some guides to help you make the right choice.
1. Cooking Style
The cookbook can have the style of Asian cooking in general or the style of a particular country such as Korea, China, Vietnam. Currently, there are many cookbooks on the market with an attractive introduction, so you should choose what cookbook you would like to follow to avoid wasting money and time. For example, if Korean or Chinese dishes are your favorite, you should choose cookbooks that focus only on that country's cuisine instead of the general ones.
2. Number of Recipes
If you want to learn about a variety of dishes or delve deeply into them, you should choose books with many recipes. The little recipe will be more suitable if you simply want to serve your meals.
Furthermore, you should choose cookbooks with clear guidelines that are easy to understand and easy to follow, especially if you are not good at cooking or are a beginner.
Another thing you should consider carefully is that the ingredients of the dishes. Some cookbooks will introduce you to the traditional dishes of different regions, so their ingredients may difficult to find.
Hence, you should notice whether a cookbook suggests alternative ingredients or not.
When purchasing the cookbook, you also should consider that the photographs come with the recipes or. The photos in the book are significant as it will be the highlight of each recipe, make the directions easy to understand, and help motivate you to start making the dishes as soon as possible.
Here I give you information about some famous authors in the field of cookbooks.
Maangchi was born and raised in Korea; her hometown is nurturing her love of Korean cuisine. She used to be a counselor for victims of domestic violence. She is the founder and owner of maangchi.com, the leading online Korean cooking destination.
Martha Rose Shulman is the author of the popular cookbook "Recipes for health" of the New York Times. Award-winning author of more than 25 cookbooks. Martha also collaborates with many famous chefs and has a lot of experience writing cookbooks.
Jet Tila grow up in a family of culinary traditions in Los Angeles. The author has learned traditional recipes from family members, especially his grandmother.
The Royal Thai Consulate appointed him as the first culinary Ambassador of Thai Cuisine. He was also the first chef to represent his country's culture and cuisine in the United States.
Besides, he appeared on many culinary shows like Dishes Network's Cutthroat Kitchen as a judge. Furthermore, the author has six Guinness world records for culinary.
Here are some questions you may be wondering when purchasing the Asian cookbooks, and I'll help you answer them.
My Top Pick
Among all of the best Asian cookbooks, my choice would be Maangchi’s Big Book Of Korean Asian Cookbook, because I am a big fan of Korean dishes. I like the flavors and the color of Korean dishes. They are very delicious!
Having this book in hand, I feel more confident when I’m in my kitchen. I can make yummy meals for my family, and I would also have many enjoyable experiences with the recipes.
Moreover, the book can broaden my horizons about the history, culture, and cuisines of Korea.
Which Asian cookbook do you choose? And have you tried any recipes from it? Does its success or not? Let’s share your experience and leave your comment to discuss it together!