It's always an excellent occasion to be able to gather around with your friends and family in the backyard for a smoke grill party. Imagine smoking food on a chilly evening with your loved ones, what can possibly be better than that?
If you’re a fan of smoking food, then perhaps you’ve considered getting an offset smoker. However, it’s not always easy to find a suitable offset smoker with excellent reliability.
That’s why I’m here. After researching extensively and trying out many products, I’ve come up with this review for the best offset smokers one can possibly have in 2020.
What Is an Offset Smoker?
An offset smoker is what considered to be a classic smoker design. One of the most popular options, offset smokers usually have a long horizontal chamber and a firebox.
Usually, in an offset smoker, food will be cooked in the horizontal chambers whiles the firebox will be where the fuel burns.
- Top 15 Best Springform Pans to Buy 2020
- Top 15 Best Carbon Steel Wok To Buy 2020
- Top 15 Best Coffee Tumblers To Buy 2020
- Top 15 Best Vegetable Chopper Reviews 2020
- Top 15 Best Quesadilla Maker To Buy 2020
- 15 Best Small Air Fryers To Buy 2020
- Top 15 Best Ice Cream Scoops in 2020
- Top 12 Best Avocado Saver Reviews in 2020
Offset Smoker vs. Pellet Smoker
A pellet smoker can also be known as a pellet grill. Generally speaking, a pellet smoker is an electronic upgrade of the offset smoker.
In terms of appearance and operation principles, an offset smoker and a pellet smoker are roughly the same. Therefore, they can be used interchangeably.
However, pellet smokers usually don't require too much attention and supervision. While pellet smokers can be more convenient, they might not be able to produce the smoky flavors of an offset smoker fully.
Offset Smokers vs. Kamado Grill
Essentially, offset smokers and Kamado grills are vastly different cooking appliances. They have distinct features and characteristics that make them suitable for various jobs.
For instance, offset smoker is best used for smoking food. While it’s true that you can use an offset smoker to grill food, it’s still designed to smoke food more than grill it.
On the other hand, a Kamado grill is designed to grill food. You can still smoke meat in it, but the results wouldn’t be as good as one smoked in an offset smoker.
Therefore, the Kamado grill is more designed for hot and fast cook whilst the offset is better suited for low and slow options.
Therefore, it's safe to say that offset smokers and Kamado grills can't quite be used interchangeably. If you can afford it, try to get both.
What Are the Benefits of an Offset Smoker?
To determine if the offset is the best match for you, first you need to be fully informed of what it can and can’t do.
- An offset smoker is a go-to choice for an authentic barbecue taste that can't be imitated by other cooking appliances.
- An offset smoker can tackle a large amount of food at once, thus reducing prep time.
- Offset smokers usually have a firebox door that reduces the amount of heat loss.
- An offset smoker is one of the most durable options that you can possibly invest your money in.
- Offset smokers are generally cheap and affordable.
However, it might take time for inexperienced people to learn how to properly cook on offset smokers.
What Are The Best Offset Smokers?
Now here come my personal picks for the best offset smokers for each different category. If you're having any specific need in mind, this is where you'll be most likely to find what you need.
- Best Overall - Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Offset Smoker
“Large cooking surface, features up to four baffles for temperature control, removable baffles for a customized setup.”
- Best for Budget - Char-Griller E 1224 Smokin Pro Offset Smoker
“Texas-style setup, heavy-gauge steel construction, non-stick cast-iron cooking grates, removable charcoal drawers, built-in thermometer.”
- Best for Heavy-Duty Use - Dyna Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker
“Vertical construction, heavy-gauge porcelain-enameled steel, dual door construction, heavy-duty steel with high-temperature powder coating.”
- Best Versatility - Traeger Grills TFB57PZBO Pro Series 22 Offset Smoker
“6-in-1 versatility, highly accurate temperature control, large hopper capacity, powerful steel construction.”
- Best for Beginners - Z-Grill ZPG-7002E 2020 Upgrade Wood Grill Offset Smoker
“8-in-1 cooking options, reliable ignition, waste oil collect for easy cleanup, digital auto temperature control.”
- Best With Charcoals - Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS1382VCS-D Heavy-Duty Offset Smoker
“Five chrome-plated cooking grates, temperature gauge included, vertical design, cool-touch handle for safe operation.”
- Best With Fan - Z-Grill 2019 Upgrade Model Grill Offset Smoker
“8-in-1 versatility, built-in induction fan, suitable for different cooking methods, built-in waste oil collector.”
- Best With Wood Chips - Traeger Grill TFB89BLF Series Ironwood Offset Smoker
“WiFIRE technology, 6-in-1 versatility, authentic smoky flavors, suitable for different styles of cooking.”
- Best Small Size - Traeger Grill TFB38TOD Renegade Pro Offset Smoker
“6-in-1 versatility, digital pro controller, impressive steel construction with a durable powder coat finish.”
- Best for Brisket - Camp Chef XXL Vertical Grill Offset Smoker
“Decent temperature range, four smoking grates, and three jerky racks, digital controller, grease management system.”
- Best Large Size - Dyna Glo DGO1890BDC-D Wide Body Vertical Offset Smoker
“1890 square inches in the cooking area, 6 cooking grates, most suitable for low and slow cooking, removable ash pan, charcoal chamber.”
Best Offset Smokers Comparison Chart
Learn all the basic information of the best offset smokers with the following comparison chart. Hopefully, you'll be able to identify the product you need quickly.
|Best Offset Smokers||Cooking Area||Smoker’s Weight||Product Dimensions|
|Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Offset Smoker - Best Overall||900 square inches in total||180.8 pounds||33.5 x 57 x 53 inches|
|Char-Griller E 1224 Smokin Pro Offset Smoker - Best for Budget||830 square inches||113 pounds||21.7 x 18.9 x 31.9 inches|
|Dyna Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker - Best for Heavy-Duty Use||784 square inches||57 pounds||20.2 x 34.52 x 47.03 inches|
|Traeger Grills TFB57PZBO Pro Series 22 Offset Smoker - Best Versatility||572 square inches||102.3 pounds||41 x 27 x 49 inches|
|Z-Grill ZPG-7002E 2020 Upgrade Wood Grill Offset Smoker - Best for Beginners||700 square inches in total||131.9 pounds||48 x 22 x 51 inches|
|Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS1382VCS-D Heavy-Duty Offset Smoker - Best With Charcoals||1382 square inches in total||124.3 pounds||45.5 x 24.9 x 58.8 inches|
|Z-Grill 2019 Upgrade Model Pellet Grill Offset Smoker - Best With Fan||538 square inches||84 pounds||47 x 20 x 45 inches|
|Traeger Grill TFB89BLF Series Ironwood Pellet Offset Smoker - Best With Wood Chips||885 square inches||196.6 pounds||53 x 27 x 47 inches|
|Traeger Grill TFB38TOD Renegade Pro Offset Smoker - Best Small Size||380 square inches||136.7 pounds||39 x 27 x 50 inches|
|Camp Chef XXL Vertical Grill Offset Smoker - Best for Brisket||N/A||136 pounds||18 x 38 x 54.5 inches|
|Z-Grill ZPG-700D Wood Grill Offset Smoker||694 square inches in total||20 pounds||48 x 22 x 51 inches|
|Dyna Glo DGO1890BDC-D Wide Body Vertical Offset Smoker - Best Large Size||1890 square inches in total||83 pounds||21 x 43.3 x 50.2 inches|
|Grilla Grills Silverbac Alpha Model Bundle Offset Smoker||900 square inches||N/A||N/A|
|Pit Boss Classic Wood Fired Pellet Grill Offset Smoker||700 square inches||130 pounds||40.75 x 25.59 x 43.9 inches|
|Traeger Pellet Grill TFB78GLE Pro Offset Smoker||780 square inches||173 pounds||48.7 x 26.7 x 54.4 inches|
Top 15 Best Offset Smoker Reviews 2020
It’s time that we get into the main section of my review for the best offset smoker. Be sure to check it out thoroughly to know which one is the best for you.
Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Offset Smoker
One of the best offset smokers under $1000, the Oklahoma Reverse Flow boasts a large cooking area of up to 900 square inches.
With 619 square inches in primary cooking space and 281 square inches in the firebox chamber, the smoker is more than enough to cook for a large group of people. Therefore, if you're throwing a party, this unit will definitely make a great choice.
Highly efficient, the Oklahoma has a series of 4 baffles whose main task is to guide the heat and the smoke through the main chamber. As a result, the smoker can yield delicious and evenly cooked food.
Furthermore, the four baffles of the smoker can be easily removed. Combined with optional smokestack locations, the removable baffles will let you customize the smoker however you want for more desirable results.
Cleaning this fantastic smoker will be a breeze thanks to the firebox chamber, which comes with a stainless steel fuel basket as well as a cleanout door. Therefore, you will be able to clean the ash from the unit with next to no problem.
- 900 square inches in total
- Features up to four baffles
- Removable baffles for customizable setup
- Cleanout door included
- The removable baffles of the unit will let you customize the smoker setup according to your preferences
- The baffles of the smoker will ensure that your food is evenly cooked with outstanding results
- The smoker has a large cooking area, which makes it an excellent option for large gatherings
- The smoker has an all-steel construction for extra durability and sturdiness
- You can easily control the heat and smoke of the unit thanks to the several dampers installed in the smoker
- Despite its many features, the smoker is relatively easy to assemble
- The smoker might be prone to rusting if you don’t properly preserve it
|Product Dimensions||33.5 x 57 x 53 inches|
|Item Weight||180.8 pounds|
|Cooking Area||900 square inches in total|
|Materials||Steel and porcelain-coated grates|
Gain a closeup look at this fantastic offset smoker with the following video. Be warned; you will fall in love with this product:
Char-Griller E 1224 Smokin Pro Offset Smoker
(Best for Budget)
Any lover of Texas-style barbecue will find this offset smoker a charm due to its outstanding performance and its relatively low price. One of the most affordable options out there, this smoker also promises excellent durability.
Capable of producing consistent and evenly cooked food, this offset smoker boasts a heavy-gauge steel construction as well as non-stick cast-iron cooking grates. As a result, you can make professional-like dishes right within your very backyard.
During your cooking session, you might need to add more charcoal into the unit or clean ashes from it. To make it easier for you to do so, Char-Griller has made sure to installed removable charcoal drawers to the unit for maximum convenience.
Moreover, the smoker has additional accessories that might come in handy for many occasions. With its built-in thermometer, you’ll be able to monitor the cooking process and determine how long you’ll need to cook your dishes.
- Grill barrel combined with side firebox
- Charcoal drawers
- Built-in thermometer
- Despite its outstanding performance, the unit is one of the most affordable choices
- The double bottom construction of the smoker makes it highly durable and sturdy
- The non-stick cooking grates can guarantee that you can easily remove the food from the unit
- The removable drawer of the smoker will allow you to add more charcoals as well as remove ashes from the unit easily
- The rolling cart that comes with the smoker provides extra portability
- The paint cover of the smoker is not very good
|Product Dimensions||21.7 x 18.9 x 31.9 inches|
|Item Weight||113 pounds|
|Cooking Area||830 square inches|
|Materials||Heavy-gauge steel and cast-iron|
Dyna Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker
(Best for Heavy-Duty Use)
If you’re looking for a heavy-duty offset smoker with a vertical construction, then look no further with this fantastic product from the renowned brand of Dyna Glo, who only has the best quality to offer.
Featuring a heavy-gauge porcelain-enameled steel wood chip box, this offset smoker promises outstanding efficiency and durability. Offering up to 784 square inches of total cooking area, the smoker is enough for gatherings of various sizes.
Furthermore, you’ll get to save quite a lot of fuel sources thanks to this smoker’s innovative design. Boasting a dual door construction, the Dyna Glo smoker can minimize the amount of heat loss when you add more chips into the unit.
Made of heavy-duty steel with a high-temperature powder coating, this smoker will be able to last for years. Combined with its outstanding burners as well as the electronic ignition system, this smoker from Dyna Glo is undoubtedly a force to reckon with.
- 15,00 BTU in total
- Electronic ignition system
- Dual door design
- Suitable for heavy-duty and commercial use
- The heavy-duty burners of the unit promise outstanding efficiency
- The smoker has a dual door design, which can minimize heat loss
- The cooking area of the smoker is large enough to accommodate different occasions
- The smoker has a heavy-duty construction with a high-temperature powder for extra durability
- The electronic ignition system of the smoker can guarantee users a reliable start every time
- The smoker might be a bit hard to use for beginners
|Product Dimensions||20.2 x 34.52 x 47.03 inches|
|Item Weight||57 pounds|
|Cooking Area||784 square inches|
|Materials||Porcelain-enameled steel and heavy-duty steel with powder coating|
You can get a quick overview of this offset smoker with this video to know what it’s capable of:
Traeger Grills TFB57PZBO Pro Series 22 Pellet Offset Smoker
An excellent bargain for those with versatility in mind, this smoker from Traeger boasts a 6-in-1 construction, being able to smoke, roast, bake, grill, braise, and barbecue food within only one single unit.
While not one of the largest smokers out there, the product still offers a decent cooking capacity. With roughly 572 square inches in the cooking area, the smoker can cook up to four chickens, 24 burgers, or 5 racks of ribs.
Even better, when using this smoker, you will not have to refill the unit with more pellets constantly. This is all thanks to the spacious hopper size of roughly 18 pounds.
Furthermore, this smoker can provide users with a top-notch precise control over the unit’s temperature. This is all thanks to the Digital Pro Controller. As a result, you can know for sure that your food is cooked exactly the way you want.
That's not all; the Traeger smoker boasts a powerful steel construction that is coated with a durable powder finish. Therefore, the unit can withstand many years of heavy-duty use and still stay as good as the day you buy it.
- 6-in-1 unit
- Highly accurate temperature control
- Large hopper capacity
- The smoker has a simple design that allows it to be assembled within only a few minutes
- The heavy-duty construction of the smoker will ensure that it can last for years
- The smoker has a non-stick surface that will make cleaning a breeze
- With the Digital Pro Controller technology, the unit provides precise temperature control
- The large capacity of the hopper will reduce the need to refill the unit with more wood pellets
- It can take quite a lot of time for novice users to get the hang of controlling the smoker’s temperature
|Product Dimensions||41 x 27 x 49 inches|
|Item Weight||102.3 pounds|
|Cooking Area||572 square inches|
|Material||Porcelain grill grates|
The best way to learn more about this product is to see it up close in the video I’ve attached below:
Z-Grill ZPG-7002E 2020 Upgrade Wood Grill Offset Smoker
(Best for Beginners)
Even if you're only a beginner in smoking food, you'll still be able to induce the best flavors of wood-smoked food with this impressive product from Z-Grill. Being able to yield excellent flavors, this smoker happens to boast a remarkable versatility.
User-friendly and reliable, the smoker can be started with a push of the button. The smoker also has a Digital Auto Temperature control as well as a LED temperature readout. As a result, you can easily cook food with consistent results.
Furthermore, this smoker has a wide temperature range that will enable you to cook in different styles. The automated electric feed system will maintain heat within the desired levels to ensure that the optimal amount of smoke can be produced.
Due to its innovative cooking system, this smoker does not require you to constantly watch over it. You can simply leave the smoker to do its job while you tend to other businesses.
- 8-in-1 cooking options
- Electronic ignition for a reliable start
- Waste oil collector for easy cleanup
- Digital Auto Temperature control included
- The smoker has a wide temperature range of 150 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, thus providing users with more flexibility
- The Digital Auto Temperature control will ensure that your dishes will be evenly cooked
- The smoker has an automated electric feed system, which will ensure that the unit’s temperature stays within desired levels
- The smoker has a simplistic design that makes assembling it a smooth and effortless task
- The large capacity of the smoker’s hopper will reduce the need to refill fuel into the unit
- The lid of the smoker can be too heavy to lift
|Product Dimensions||48 x 22 x 51 inches|
|Item Weight||131.9 pounds|
|Cooking Area||700 square inches in total|
Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS1382VCS-D Heavy-Duty Offset Smoker
(Best With Charcoals)
Offering one of the largest cooking areas, this premium heavy-duty offset smoker from Dyna Glo has up to five chrome-plated cooking grates that add up to an impressive total cooking area of 1382 square inches.
Using charcoals or woods as the main power source, this offset smoker can yield an authentic smoky flavor in your meat. Combined with the smoke zone, this offset smoker will infuse the ideal amount of smoke into your food.
To make it easier for users to access fuel as well as food, Dyna-Glo has designed their grill with cool-touch handles. Therefore, even when the smoker is in use, you can still easily open the unit's lid.
Lastly, this offset smoker boasts a heavy-gauge steel construction that will ensure that the unit can last for a long time. Also, its oversized wheels will give you more mobility to move the smoker around to suit your needs.
- Removable charcoal grate
- Temperature gauge included
- Chrome-plated cooking grates
- Vertical design
- This smoker is one of the easiest smokers to assemble
- The smoker has a cool-touch spring lid to make it easier for users to access food and fuel
- The large steel wheels of the smoker give it more mobility
- The temperature gauge of the smoker can help you monitor the internal temperature of the smoker
- Its removable charcoal grate and ash pan will give you an easy access to fuel and make it easier to dispose ash
- There have been several reports that the parts of the smoker arrived broken
|Product Dimensions||45.5 x 24.9 x 58.8 inches|
|Item Weight||124.3 pounds|
|Cooking Area||1382 square inches in total|
You can see the product for yourself and learn how fantastic it can cook with this:
Z-Grill 2019 Upgrade Model Grill Offset Smoker
(Best With Fan)
Achieve smoked food nirvana with this outstanding offset smoker from Z-Grill. With its built-in induction fan, the unit is able to burn excess pellets in the firebox and stokes the fire properly.
Being capable of infusing your meat with natural smoky flavors that cannot possibly be replicated with charcoal or gas grill, the Z-Grill offset smoker offers its user an authentic way to barbecue their food.
A highly versatile unit, this offset smoker is suitable for different types of cooking methods, be it hot and fast cooking or a low and slow one. Moreover, this powerhouse can smoke, bake, grill, roast, sear, braise, barbeque, and char-grill food.
Cooking can't get any easier than this thanks to the smoker's automated electric feed system. Due to this innovative feature, the smoker can stay within the ideal temperature range so that your food can achieve the ultimate perfection.
- 8-in-1 versatility
- Automated electric feed system
- Built-in waste oil collector
- 10-pound hopper
- The smoker is highly versatile, being capable of smoking, baking, grilling, roasting, searing, braising, and barbequing food
- The smoker’s exclusive waste oil collector will make cleaning up virtually a breeze
- Highly user-friendly and can be assembled without any sort of expertise
- The automated electric feed system of the smoker will make it easier for users to achieve consistent results
- The smoker is not very suitable for heavy-duty use
|Product Dimensions||47 x 20 x 45 inches|
|Item Weight||84 pounds|
|Cooking Area||538 square inches|
Traeger Grill TFB89BLF Series Ironwood Offset Smoker
(Best With Wood Chips)
Impress your friends and family with your cooking skills with this impressive smoker from Traeger, which is one of the most innovative products from this brand.
Implemented with WiFIRE technology, the smoker can be controlled from anywhere and at any time. With only a smartphone, you'll be able to supervise over the unit's temperature or set up cooking times.
You can say goodbye to gas and charcoals when cooking with this offset smoker. In fact, you’ll love how authentic your food will taste thanks to the smoky flavors that only wood pellets can induce.
Being a powerful smoker, this unit from Traeger is suitable for both hot and fast cooking as well as low and slow method. With its 6-in-1 versatility, the product can smoke, grill, bake, braise, roast, and barbecue your food with utmost precision.
- WiFIRE technology
- Use wood pellets as the main power source
- 6-in-1 versatility
- The smoker’s WiFIRE controller technology will give you more control over the unit, regardless of time and your location
- Using wood pellets as the main power source, the smoker can induce savory flavors into your food
- The smoker is highly versatile, being capable of smoking, grilling, baking, braising, roasting, and barbecuing your food
- The fan of the unit will smoke well, and heat circulates better around your food to yield more desirable results
- The WiFIRE technology can be hard to use at first
|Product Dimensions||53 x 27 x 47 inches|
|Item Weight||196.6 pounds|
|Cooking Area||885 square inches|
Traeger Grill TFB38TOD Renegade Pro Offset Smoker
(Best Small Size)
Are you looking for a small smoker that will not take up too much of your space? Look no further with this compact offset smoker from Traeger, which can promise you an impressive performance and outstanding quality.
A mini-sized powerhouse, this fantastic offset smoker can provide its users with 6-in-1 versatility. This means that the unit can smoke, grill, bake, roast, braise, and barbecue your food with next to no trouble.
Thanks to its Digital Pro Controller, the smoker will be able to maintain its internal temperature to an ideal level, ensuring that your food will be cooked with only the best of the best perfection.
Furthermore, the Traeger Renegade offset smoker also boasts an impressive steel construction with a durable powder coat finish. Thanks to this, the smoker enjoys outstanding durability so that it'll be able to serve you for years to come.
That's not all; this smoker also boasts porcelain grates with a non-stick surface so that it'll be easier for you to clean the unit. The all-terrain wheels of the unit, meanwhile, can provide the smoker with more portability.
- 6-in-1 versatility
- Digital Pro Controller included
- Steel construction
- Features all-terrain wheels
- 18-pound hopper
- The smoker is a highly versatile unit, offering users with many options when it comes to cooking methods
- The Digital Pro Controller technology of the smoker can make it easier for you to control the smoker’s temperature for better results
- The steel construction of the smoker promises better durability
- The compact design of the smoker makes the smoker an ideal choice for small houses and small families
- The non-stick surface of the smoker will make cleaning a breeze
- There’s a small chance that the wood pellets might get stuck inside the hopper
|Product Dimensions||39 x 27 x 50 inches|
|Item Weight||136.7 pounds|
|Cooking Area||380 square inches|
Camp Chef XXL Vertical Grill Offset Smoker
(Best for Brisket)
Another outstanding vertical offset smoker for you to choose from, this product from Camp Chef can guarantee you impressive performance and exceptional durability that will last for years.
Featuring up to four smoking grates and three Jerky racks, the smoker has a large cooking capacity that will let you cook up a large meal course for your friends and family.
Being able to produce up to 33,000 BTU every hour, the smoker is highly efficient. Combined with its decent temperature range, the smoker will allow you to cook in different ways for better results.
Even better, the Camp Chef smoker also boasts a digital controller, which can automatically maintain the unit’s cooking temperature. Cooking can’t get any easier than this, am I right?
Furthermore, this vertical offset smoker also has a grease management system for ease of cleaning.
- A temperature range of 150-350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Ash cleanout system included
- Digital temperature display
- Digital controller
- Adjustable cooking racks
- The decent temperature range of the smoker will give you more options for cooking
- The jerky racks of the smoker can give your room and versatility to cook large amounts of food
- The smoker’s digital controller will make it easier for you to control the temperature of the smoker
- With its digital temperature display, the smoker will make it easier for you to monitor the smoker’s temperature
- The smoker might not be too well insulated
|Product Dimensions||18 x 38 x 54.5 inches|
|Item Weight||136 pounds|
Z-Grill ZPG-700D Wood Offset Smoker
No more looking for the perfect offset smoker with this impressive product from Z-Grill. Boasting an 8-in-1 versatility, the Z-Grill offset smoker will let you cook however you want, be it hot and fast cooking or low and slow cooking.
Furthermore, this offset smoker also has an innovative Advanced Wood Fire Technology that will utilize wood pellets to produce the best wood flavors for your food.
With its large cooking area, this offset smoker is an excellent choice for parties and large gatherings. In fact, it can cook up to 20 burgers, 6 racks of ribs, or 5 whole chickens at once.
Moreover, the Z-Grill offset smoker is also implemented with a grease bucket holder to make cleanup as safe and easy as possible.
- 8-in-1 versatility
- A wide temperature range of 150-450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Advanced Wood Fire technology
- Grease bucket holder included
- Digital Auto temperature control
- Real-time LED temperature display
- The digital temperature control can automatically add more pellets into the smoker to regulate the smoker’s internal temperature, thus eliminating the need for you to handle it manually
- The real-time temperature display can help you monitor the smoker’s temperature
- The advanced wood fire technology of the smoker can promise the best qualities for your food
- Highly versatile, being capable of performing up to 8 different tasks for more cooking options
- The grease bucket holder will make cleaning a breeze
- None that I can think of
|Product Dimensions||48 x 22 x 51 inches|
|Item Weight||20 pounds|
|Cooking Area||694 square inches in total|
Dyna Glo DGO1890BDC-D Wide Body Vertical Offset Smoker
(Best Large Size)
If you’re cooking for a large crowd, why not opt for something with a capacity as large as this vertical offset smoker from Dyna Glo? With an impressive cooking area of up to 1890 square inches, this product will accommodate all your needs.
An excellent choice for low and slow cooking, this offset smoker can yield outstanding flavors. Furthermore, its charcoal chamber can promise better efficiency and better performance overall.
Also, the smoker is installed with a steel smoke stack's adjustable flue. Therefore, you can improve your cooking precision and control the smoker's temperature with better ease.
Cleaning up will be a breeze as well, thanks to the smoker's innovative removable ash pan.
- 1890 square inches in the cooking area
- 6 cooking grates
- Best for low and slow cooking
- The smoker can optimize the indirect heat flow for better flavors in food
- The large capacity of the smoker makes it ideal for serving large groups of people
- The cooking grates can be adjusted according to your needs
- The ingenious charcoal chamber of the smoker can boost burn efficiency
- Assembling the smoker can be a bit hard for inexperienced users
|Product Dimensions||21 x 43.3 x 50.2 inches|
|Item Weight||83 pounds|
|Cooking Area||1890 square inches in total|
Grilla Grills Silverbac Alpha Model Bundle Offset Smoker
An excellent choice is that if you have versatility in mind, this offset smoker is suitable for low and slow smoking and hot and fast searing. As long as you're using premium quality wood pellets, your smoker will become quite a powerful unit.
With its ingenious design, combined with the wood pellets, this smoker can yield an unrivalled flavor that not many grills or smokers can successfully replicate. Also, you can customize your dishes thanks to the change in wood pellets.
Implemented with the brand’s top-notch technologies, this offset smoker can provide you with better temperature control. The smoker’s automated feeding system will automatically load more fuel into the 20-lb hopper to adjust the heat accordingly.
Furthermore, the smoker also has a double-walled insulated barrel to boost the efficiency of your fuel. Therefore, you will find this product to be quite cost-effective in the long run.
- Dual-mode controller
- 6-in-1 versatility
- Double-walled insulated barrel
- The smoker offers excellent versatility with different cooking options such as smoke, bake, grill, sear, broil, roast
- The dual-mode controller of the smoker will give you better temperature control for better results
- The smoker has a unique double-walled insulated body for better efficiency, thus saving you more fuel
- The stainless steel and rigid powder coated external body of the smoker guarantee optimal durability
- The smoker can be a bit on the expensive side
|Cooking Area||900 square inches|
Pit Boss Classic Wood Fired Grill Offset Smoker
Whip up a course of delicious dishes with this fantastic offset smoker from Pit Boss. Offering up to 700 square inches of porcelain-coated cooking surface, this product is a perfect choice for a family of four.
Utilizing wood pellets as the primary power source, this smoker can induce an authentic smoky flavor in your food. Therefore, there's a high chance that you will become addicted to the excellent flavors that only this smoker can produce.
Having one of the widest temperature ranges, this offset smoker will provide you with many cooking options. As a result, you can smoke, grill, sear, braise, roast, barbecue, or char-grill your food to your heart's content.
- Large cooking surface
- Temperature range of 180-500 degrees Fahrenheit
- Digital control board
- Ingenious broiler for indirect cooking
- The smoker has a simplistic design that allows it to be assembled within minutes
- The smoker is so user-friendly that virtually anyone can operate it
- The wide temperature range of the smoker will give you more cooking options
- The temperature control of the smoker is outstanding
- The smoker is not one of the most durable options
|Product Dimensions||40.75 x 25.59 x 43.9 inches|
|Item Weight||130 pounds|
|Cooking Area||700 square inches|
|Materials||High-temperature powder-coated steel|
Traeger Grill TFB78GLE Pro Offset Smoker
If you love to smoke your food with wood pellets for a better, more authentic taste, you can’t miss this premium-quality offset smoker from Trager. Highly versatile, this powerhouse will let you smoke, braise, grill, roast, bake, and barbeque your food.
Similar to other offset smokers from Traeger, this product is implemented with built-in WiFIre technology that lets you control the smoker from anywhere you want at any time you wish to.
Furthermore, this offset smoker is suitable for both hot and fast cooking as well as low and slow ones. Therefore, you can be creative in your cooking methods, thus surprising your guests with your talents and versatility.
With a cooking surface of up to 780 square inches, this offset smoker will be more than enough to cook for a large family. Load all the burgers, chicken, steaks, fish, ribs, vegetables one can possibly handle, and the smoker will take care of them for you.
- WiFIRE cooking technology
- 6-in-1 versatility
- Large cooking surface
- The WiFire cooking technology of the smoker will give you more control over the smoker regardless of your location
- The smoker is highly versatile, giving you more cooking options and flexibility so that you can cook the way you want
- Utilizing wood pellets as primary fuel sources, this smoker can induce excellent flavors in your food
- The smoker can yield consistent results every single time
- The WiFIRE technology can be a bit hard to use
|Product Dimensions||48.7 x 26.7 x 54.4 inches|
|Item Weight||173 pounds|
|Cooking Area||780 square inches|
Buying Tips for Offset Smokers
Without further ado, here are some buying tips you need to consider before buying an offset smoker.
When buying an offset smoker, you need to choose one with thick walls and sturdy construction. Not only will this be a significant factor that will determine the smoker's durability, but it can affect the insulation of the smoker as well.
If you buy an offset with poorly made walls, then the chances are that you will be struggling to control the smoker's heat and temperature regulation. Therefore, make sure that your smoker has at least ¼ inch thick walls.
Is Reverse Flow Technology Worth It
Some offset smokers employ a reverse flow technology, where the heat and smoke are drawn twice through the food. As a result, your food will have a better flavor with a more tender texture.
If you want to have better results at cooking food, then may you should consider getting an offset smoker with a reverse flow setup.
Offset smokers can cost you anywhere from $200 to $100. While the cost might not necessarily affect the overall quality of the smoker, a cheap one usually means that it’s poorly made.
Therefore, if you can afford it, make sure to spend on smokers with a price of roughly around $800.
Size/ Serving Capacity
At the end of the day, it all comes down to this. It's the size that will determine what product you're going to get. After all, no one will spend their hard-earned money on a smoker too small or too large.
Therefore, before buying an offset smoker, think about how many people you’ll typically be cooking for. It should be enough to give you a general idea of how large your smoker should be.
While this is not a dealbreaker of any sort, you should look for offset smokers with decent wheels so that you can move the smoker around without assistance.
Offset smokers are a complicated matter. While they might be a traditional method of cooking, they still pose problems that can baffle even us modern people.
My Top Pick
When it comes to offset smokers, my top pick will always be the Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Offset Smoker. This is one of the rare smokers that employ reverse flow setup for better flavors and texture.
Moreover, the Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Offset Smoker is easy to assemble, it makes controlling temperature easy, and it is the best choice if you want customized setup.
Have you found your favorite offset smoker yet? Do you have anything you want to share with fellow readers and me? Don't hesitate to leave a comment down below.