You are becoming more and more health-conscious and realize that eating diet affects profoundly on your health in the long run.
You are determined to find healthy products to replace the old ones in the kitchen, that leads to choosing a good sesame oil for the whole family.
So I’m here to help you find the best sesame oil for daily use.
What Is Sesame Oil?
Sesame oil is a vegetable oil extracted from sesame seeds. It’s not only being used as a cooking oil in South India, but also often used as a spice in Chinese, Japanese, Middle Eastern, Korean, and Southeast Asian cuisines.
Sesame oil is also widely used for beauty care because of its rich nutrients.
Different Types of Sesame Oil
There are two types of sesame oils, namely roasted sesame oil and light sesame oil.
Roasted Sesame Oil
Roasted sesame oil is the sesame oil extracted from roasted sesame seeds, then is cold pressed or expeller pressed to create finished product.
Roasted sesame oil usually has the typical flavor of roasted sesame, a rich, nutty and strong flavor. This oil is often used for seasoning dishes.
Light Sesame Oil
Light sesame oil is sesame oil extracted from sesame seeds by pressing without the roasting stage. Therefore it is usually pale in color and has a mild flavor. This oil is for those who are new to the taste of sesame oil. It’s suitable for health and beauty care or doing low-heating cooking like salad dressing and marinade.
There are also refined and unrefined oil. Refined oil is sesame oil which is processed to increase the smoke point to be used as frying oil. Unrefined oil will have lower heat resistance and often burns so it’s only used for low-heating cooking.
Find out how to make roasted sesame oil in traditional Korean way:
The Health Benefits of Sesame Oil
According to research, sesame oil contains many nutrients such as: unsaturated fat, omega-3, omega-6, calcium, iron and vitamin E, PP…Therefore, sesame oil has the following health benefits:
- Reduce cholesterol and prevent the formation of free radicals.
- Improve circulation, improve immunity and ease digestive problems such as gas production and constipation.
- Sesame oil helps fight stress, nourish the nervous system, reduce fatigue, cure insomnia and improve vitality.
- Sesame oil protects you from cancer, lowers blood pressure, prevents diabetes.
- Sesame oil is a rich source of calcium, helping people with arthritis and joint pain.
- Good for skin; Nourish hair and dental care.
- Improve bone health
- Prevent respiratory disorders, prevent anemia.
In old times, sesame oil also has been using to:
- Reduce disorders of lactation
- Prevent headaches
- Reduce PMS symptoms (premenstrual syndrome)
- Prevent intestinal parasites
Explore more benefits of sesame oil here:
How To Use Sesame Oil?
Sesame oil, if used properly, will help the body absorb the right amount of nutrients to keep the body healthy. Normally, sesame oil is used by mixing with food so that the body will be easily absorbed.
For drinking sesame oil, you need to consult a doctor before use.
Sesame oil is actually the optimal source of nutrition, but if you overuse it will cause negative health effects.
Here are some popular ways to use sesame oil appropriately:
- Oil pulling: Put a tablespoon sesame oil in the mouth, use tongue to push back and forth, about 20 minutes then spit out.
- Skincare mask: Mix 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil with 1/6 scoop of apple cider vinegar and apply to the skin, leave for about 15 minutes then rinse your face with warm water and wash again with clean water.
- Nursing eyelashes: Apply on eyelashes, leave overnight, and rinse with warm water.
Here Are The Best Sesame Oils:
In this list, I highlight some best sesame oil and their particular characteristics. Let’s go through these products before deciding.
- Best Overall – Kadoya Pure Sesame Oil
“Rich, smooth and original sesame flavor for true fans of Asian dishes”
- Best Budget – Kevala Organic Toasted Sesame Oil
“Cold pressed, tasty and economical oil for cooking.”
- Best for Self-massage – Banyan Botanicals Sesame Oil
“This sesame oil can support the body from head to toe—including the skin, scalp, hair, ears, lips, gums and teeth, and feet. You can do self-massage, oil pulling, face cleansing.”
- Best for Deep Frying – Hain Pure Foods Sesame Oil
“Owing to its high smoke point, this oil can withstand high heat without being burnt, which makes it a good choice for cooking, especially deep frying.”
- Best for Salad Dressing – Premium Roasted Ottogi Sesame Oil
“Its flavor is like well-roasted seeds; it’s a tasteful and delicious seasoning oil.”
- Best for Marinade – Napa Valley Naturals Oil Sesame
“Mild, light, clean and fresh flavor – perfect for making marinade.”
- Best for Fried Rice – Chosen Foods Toasted Sesame Oil
“This nutty and strong flavor is must-have for creating homemade Asian cuisine.”
- Best for Skincare – NOW Organic Sesame Seed Oil
“It’s expeller pressed with hexane-free, paraben-free and totally vegan, so you don’t have to worry about any harm to your sensitive skin.”
- Best for Stir Fry – La Tourangelle Toasted Sesame Oil
“Enhance the flavor of stir fry dishes with its strong and tasty aroma.”
- Best for Soap/Lotion Base – Soapbeauty unrefined Virgin Organic Toasted Sesame Oil
“This is the ideal base oil for your future DIY beauty products.”
- Best Chili Sesame Oil – Kadoya Brand 100% Pure Hot Sesame Oil
“The 2-in-1 combination between the pungency of chili and the rich aroma of sesame oil will increase the appeal of the dish.”
- Best for Baking – Kevala Extra Virgin Organic Sesame Oil
“…even for baking without affecting the overall flavor of the cake.”
- Best for Soup – Mister Kim Korean Traditional 100% Sesame Oil
“…the soup becomes rich, sweet and tastes better.”
Sesame Oil Comparison Table
Before going into the reviews of each white tea products I have selected for this article, it’s important to notice the difference between them.
|Best Sesame Oils||Type of sesame oil||Capacity||CERTIFICATES||Origins|
|Kadoya Pure Sesame Oil - Best Overall||Pure sesame oil||11 oz||Kosher||Japan|
|Kevala Organic Toasted Sesame Oil - Best Budget||Toasted & Unrefined Cold Pressed||128 oz||Organic , Non GMO Kosher, Gluten Free, No cholesterol||USA|
|Banyan Botanicals Sesame Oil - Best for Self-massage||Unrefined||34 oz||Organic, Non-GMO||India|
|Hain Pure Foods Sesame Oil - Best for Deep Frying||Expeller pressed, refined oil||12.7 oz||Kosher||USA|
|Premium Roasted Ottogi Sesame Oil - Best for Salad Dressing||Toasted||56 oz||Not specific||Korea|
|Napa Valley Naturals Oil Sesame - Best for Marinade||Cold pressed||12.7 oz||Certified Organic, Non-GMO, Gluten-Free||Mexico|
|Chosen Foods Toasted Sesame Oil - Best for Fried Rice||Toasted, Expeller pressed||25.4 oz||Non-GMO||Mexico|
|NOW Organic Sesame Seed Oil - Best for Skin Care||Expeller pressed||8 oz||Organic, Non-GMO,||India|
|La Tourangelle Toasted Sesame Oil - Best for Stir Fry||Expeller pressed||16.9 oz||Non-GMO, Gluten-Free, Vegan, Kosher||France|
|Soapbeauty unrefined virgin organic toasted sesame oil - Best for Soap/Lotion Base||Toasted, unrefined, cold pressed||16 oz||Organic||Mexico|
|Kadoya Brand 100% Pure Hot Sesame Oil - Best Chili Sesame Oil||Pure sesame oil||5.5 oz||Kosher||Japan|
|Kevala Extra Virgin Organic Sesame Oil - Best for Baking||Virgin sesame oil||8 oz||Organic||USA|
|365 Everyday Value, Organic Sesame Seed Oil||Unrefined, Expeller pressed||8.4 oz||USDA organic, Kosher, Vegan||USA|
|International collection Sesame Oil||Toasted||8.44 oz||Vegan, Gluten Free, Halal, Kosher MBD, Non-GMO, Temperature (High)||USA|
|Mister Kim Korean Traditional 100% Sesame Oil - Best for Soup||Expeller pressed||12 oz||Not specific||Korea|
Top 15 Best Sesame Oil Reviews 2021
It’s time to look closely at 15 best sesame oil products that I have chosen. Here are the pros, cons, and my personal experience with each product. I hope to help you have more considerations before deciding to select your own sesame oil brand.
1. Kadoya Pure Sesame Oil
Fried rice or stir-fried dishes will be more tasty and delicious if there is a bit of high-quality sesame oil flavor, especially if you want to create authentic Asian dishes for your family.
I recommend Kadoya Pure Sesame Oil for its excellent flavor and aroma. This Japanese oil is made by uncooked sesame seeds and it has intense nutty flavor.
Because the taste is so strong that you won’t need to add much to get the desired flavor. One teaspoon at a time is enough for any dishes.
When cooking, remember to pour the sesame oil in pan and stir the ingredients together for about 2 minutes then turn off the heat.
Kadoya Pure Sesame Oil helps you to make quick, easy, healthy and tasty dishes every day.
- Glass bottle with flip top cap
- Rich and smooth flavor
- True sesame smells when cooking
- Smell and taste great
- Mix well with the food
- This oil is very economical when using
- The top cap is a little bit to tight to open easily
|Item Weight||11 ounces|
|Type||Pure sesame oil|
|Ideal for||Cooking and dressing|
2. Kevala Organic Toasted Sesame Oil
If you run a food and beverage business, especially Asian food or vegetarian restaurants, or open a spa, this oil is a great option and value for money.
Firstly, due to its high smoke point, this oil could be used in cooking. Toasted sesame oil has a very strong flavor, you can add a few drops to a salad dressing or to a dish to give it a delicious toasted sesame taste.
Secondly, it’s is extracted by cold-pressed method to retain its quality and flavor. That’s why it’s safe for using in skincare and hair treatment.
Last but not least, this oil is made with premium USDA organic certified sesame seeds from Mexico.
- This oil features bulk size plastic jug, with a capacity of 128 fl oz
- Cold pressed high-quality oil
- Tasty flavor
- USDA organic
- Affordable price for organic sesame
- The smell stays long after cooking
|Item Weight||8 pounds|
|Dimension||4.5 x 4.5 x 10 inches|
|Type||Organic toasted sesame oil 1 Gal|
|Ideal For||Restaurants, other food service applications and spas.|
3. Banyan Botanicals Sesame Oil
(Best for Self-massage)
According to Ayurveda (traditional Indian medicine), sesame oil is used to nourish and detoxify Vata-related imbalance such as anxiety, gas production, constipation, and dry skin. It is used daily as a self-massage therapy called abhyanga.
This sesame oil can support the body from head to toe—including the skin, scalp, hair, ears, lips, gums and teeth, and feet. You can do self-massage, oil pulling, face cleansing.
Banyan Botanicals Sesame Oil is expeller pressed to preserve the seed’s nutrient-rich benefits and robust, “true” scent.
It’s also one of the most common Ayurveda base oils when mixed with various herbs; it acquires their qualities without losing its properties. That’s why you can mix it with other herbal oils to create many DIY treatments for yourself.
- Expeller Pressed
- Nutrient-rich oil
- Certified Organic
- Chemical Free
- 100% Plant-Based
- Cruelty Free
- Expeller Pressed
- Chemical Free
- No Artificial Dyes
- No Synthetic Fillers
- BPA Free
- Trusted brand
- Stored in the plastic bottle
- Not have pleasant smell for some
|Item Weight||16 ounces|
|Type||Certified Organic Sesame oil|
|Ideal for||Self-massage, oil pulling, face cleansing|
More information about self-massage with sesame oil:
4. Hain Pure Foods Sesame Oil
(Best for Deep Frying)
If you are looking for a healthy sesame oil brand for deep frying, Hain Pure Foods Sesame Oli is all you need.
Owing to its high smoke point, this oil can withstand high heat without being burnt, which makes it a good choice for cooking, especially deep frying.
Hain is a trusted brand so you can believe that its ingredients are 100% natural without any artificial additives.
It tastes mild and light, not as strong as other sesame oils in the market. So you can cook many different food styles with it.
Especially for those who do not like the smell of sesame oil, they can still enjoy the food along with the benefits of this oil.
- Refined oil
- Expeller pressed method
- Full of nutty flavor
- Can be used in stir fries, deep frying dishes or as salad dressing
- All natural with no artificial ingredients
- High smoke point
- The sesame flavor is not as strong as expected
|Item Weight||13.6 ounces|
|Type||Expeller Pressed Refined Sesame Oil|
5. Premium Roasted Ottogi Sesame Oil
(Best for Salad Dressing)
Ottogi is a trusted brand from South Korea where sesame oil is widely used in traditional cooking, for example, sesame oil is put on top of bibimbap or soup to make it look more glossy and flavorful. Koreans also make a delicious barbecue sauce by mixing salt and pepper with sesame oil.
This is a wonderful quality sesame oil which is made from selected whole sesame seeds imported from China, passed the quality test, and sorted evenly by Ottogi.
Its flavor is like well-roasted seeds; it’s a tasteful and delicious seasoning oil.
This oil comes with a large capacity of 56 fl. oz, which is stored in strong iron can with one touch stopper to be convenient to open and use.
- Iron can
- Large capacity
- Trusted brand
- Selected whole sesame seeds
- Strong and flavorful taste
- Great for cooking and add flavors to Asian dishes
|Item Weight||3.8 pounds|
|Dimension||5.8 x 3 x 8.5 inches|
|Type||Toasted sesame oil|
|Ideal for||Making Asian foods|
Salad dressing with sesame oil recipe for reference:
6. Napa Valley Naturals Oil Sesame
(Best for Marinade)
When I opened the box, I was impressed by the beautifully packaged product. Light yellow sesame oil is packed in environmentally-friendly and eye-catching wine bottles.
After trying the product, I was even more surprised by the good quality of it.
This oil is cold pressed at temperatures below 98.5 degrees for keeping its original flavor and retaining rich amount of nutrients.
It has mild, light, clean and fresh flavor which is great for salad dressing, noodles, soup and stir fry. It’s also good for massage, oil pulling and other external uses.
- Stored in nice wine bottles
- Light and fresh flavor
- Certified organic
- Certified Kosher
- Sustainably farmed
- Low FODMAP
- Some don’t like its light taste
|Item Weight||1.44 pound|
|Dimension||0.8 x 0.7 x 0.7 inches|
|Type||Cold pressed naturaly unrefined organic sesame oil|
|Ideal for||Cooking and external uses|
Very quick and easy steak Asian marinade with sesame oil for you to try:
7. Chosen Foods Toasted Sesame Oil
(Best for Fried Rice)
This toasted sesame oil is excellent for fried rice. It can enhance the flavor of your dishes a lot, making it no longer boring with just a tablespoon of oil on top of the finished food.
It’s expeller pressed for high-quality oil; and is said to be full of antioxidants, glutent-free, 100% pure sesame oil with no preservatives.
This oil also contains a good amount of monounsaturated fats which bring health benefits to the heart.
This nutty and strong flavor is must-have for creating homemade Asian cuisine.
With a smoke point of 250° F, it is best suited to low-heat cooking.
- Brown color
- Strong and nutty flavor
- Has monounsaturated fats
- Expeller pressed oil
- Great for low-heat cooking
- Make better flavor for dishes
- 100% natural
- Some think that the flavor of this oil is not strong and nutty enough compared to several sesame oil brands in the market
|Item Weight||1.59 pounds|
|Type||Toasted sesame oil|
|Ideal for||Use as a salad dressing, marinade, dip or recipe ingredient.|
Yummy shrimp fried rice with sesame oil recipe:
8. NOW Organic Sesame Seed Oil
(Best for Skin Care)
Recently the use of oils from seeds and plants for beauty care is becoming very popular. Besides cream and gel moisturizers, using oil has its own advantages because it can absorb into the skin faster.
This oil is a great natural moisturizer for your skin. It’s expeller pressed with hexane-free, paraben-free and totally vegan; so you don’t have to worry about any harm to your sensitive skin. Using this oil regularly for smooth and glowing skin.
The light and pleasant smell make it an ideal option for your head-to-toe body oil.
It also mixes well with other essential oils.
- An 8 oz plastic bottle of expeller pressed sesame oil
- Hexane-free, paraben-free and totally vegan
- Can be used for skin and hair
- Family-owned company
- Pleasant smell
- Not tested on animal
- 100% certified organic
- GMP Quality assured
- Not for cooking purposes
|Item Weight||8 ounces|
|Dimension||1.8 x 1.8 x 7.2 inches|
|Brand||NOW Foods – Nutrition and Wellness|
|Type||Organic Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil|
|Ideal for||As a natural moisturizer for daily use, apply to skin, face and scalp as desired|
How to take care of dry skin with sesame oil:
9. La Tourangelle Toasted Sesame Oil
(Best for Stir Fry)
La Tourangelle Sesame Oil is pure, natural and handcrafted from selected source of sesame seeds in South America or Africa.
It’s extracted by expeller pressed process to maintain high quality of flavor and nutrition.
This oil comes in a can with a capacity of 16.9 fl. Oz and has brown color.
It’s suitable for low-heating cooking and seasoning. You can make salad dressing, marinade or add it on top of noodles and soup to create delicious and tasty dishes.
If you are a fan of Chinese or Korean food, you might need to have one in your kitchen.
It’s not organic but it’s all natural, non-GMO and gluten-free.
- Sesame seeds are collected from South America or Africa
- Strong toasted sesame flavor
- Expeller pressed sesame oil
- Suitable for low-heating cooking and seasoning
- Not organic sesame seeds
|Item Weight||1.05 pounds|
|Dimension||6.3 x 2.9 x 2.8 inches|
|Type||100% Pure Sesame Oil|
|Ideal for||Low-medium heat: Perfect for stir-frying, baking, dipping, blending into a dressing, sauce, or drizzling on a finished dish.|
Let’s explore how to cook mixed vegetable stir-fry:
10. Soapbeauty unrefined virgin organic toasted sesame oil
(Best for Soap/Lotion Base)
Are you looking for ideal base oil to make health care products for yourself and your family? You can try Soapbeauty’s sesame oil because this is the ideal oil for your future DIY products.
Sesame oil has long been used as a base oil in India traditional medicine because it can absorb the properties of other essential oils without losing its own healing characteristics.
You can use it to make soap or lotion or directly use it for your skin and hair moisturizers.
It features dark brown color and flavorful taste.
Reasonable price for an all-purpose sesame oil!
- Cold pressed sesame oil
- Skincare, Haircare
- Soap and lotion base
- No alcohol or artificial detergents
- No animal testing
- All-purpose oil
- The cap is quite loose sometimes
- Cheap package
|Item Weight||1 pound|
|Type||Unrefined virgin organic toasted sesame oil|
|Ideal for||Skincare, Haircare, Soap and lotion base|
Let’s make some soap today using sesame oil:
11. Kadoya Brand 100% Pure Hot Sesame Oil
(Best Chili Sesame Oil)
The 2-in-1 combination between the pungency of chili and the rich aroma of sesame oil will increase the appeal of the dish. So if you want to refresh some of your old stir-fry recipes, try adding them when cooking.
Spicy flavor makes every food more delicious, but be careful not to put too much or you end up spoiling the whole dishes.
This oil features strong, rich, spicy and hot flavor.
In my opinion, you should use it as a seasoning for dishes, not as main frying oil.
- Strong, rich, spicy and hot flavor
- Pure sesame oil
- Make foods taste better, especially stir fry dishes
- It’s economical when cooking
- It’s too spicy for some people to eat
|Item Weight||13.06 ounces|
|Type||Pure sesame oil|
How about Shrimp Dumplings with Hot Sesame Oil Soy Sauce Recipe:
12. Kevala Extra Virgin Organic Sesame Oil
(Best for Baking)
The smell of Kevala Extra Virgin Organic sesame oil is very light, not as strong as many other types on the market. So you can use it for cooking a variety of foods, even for baking without affecting the overall flavor of the cake.
These sesame seeds are well selected and cold pressed to produce sesame oil with premium quality.
It can be used for multiple purposes: cooking, baking, skincare, oil pulling, nasal treatment, self-massage.
- Smooth and light flavors
- Cold Pressed & Unrefined
- Packed in glass bottle
- Project Verified
- All-purpose oil
- Especially used for baking
|Item Weight||8 ounces|
|Dimension||2 x 2 x 6 inches|
|Type||Organic Sesame Oil|
|Ideal for||Sauteing, baking, in dressings and more|
13. 365 Everyday Value, Organic Sesame Seed Oil
This oil has light and mild flavor which is suitable for making a variety of dishes, not only Asian foods. You can make a tasty marinade, flavorful salad dressing or stir-fried veggies.
It’s USDA organic, kosher and vegan. It’s also free of sodium and salt.
This light yellow oil comes in an 8.4 fl. oz glass bottle.
It’s expeller pressed for preserving premium flavor and nutrients.
- 8.4 fl. oz glass bottle
- Light and mild flavor
- Light yellow color
- Expeller pressed oil
- Sodium Free, Salt Free
- Unrefined sesame oil
- Glass bottle
- Some people think it’s too mild to use for cooking
|Item Weight||8.5 ounces|
|Dimension||2.1 x 2.1 x 6.9 inches|
|Brand||365 Everyday Value|
|Type||100% organic expeller pressed unrefined sesame seed oil|
14. International collection Sesame Oil
This sesame oil has a very rich and strong aroma so it can add flavor to the dishes. The smell of sesame here is robust. That’s why if you don’t like the strong flavor, it might be a little hard to eat at first, but once you get used to it, you’ll love it.
It’s suitable for making salad dressing, adding to stir fry dishes…
This oil contains monounsaturated fat which is good for heart health.
It is well stored in glass bottles.
- Rich, nutty and strong flavor
- Suitable for making salad dressing and adding to stir fry dishes
- Contain monounsaturated fat
- The sesame seeds are toasted in low temperature before being expeller pressed
- Enhance the flavor of Asian dishes
- Cholesterol, carbohydrate, trans fat and sodium free
- Gluten- free
|Item Weight||1.01 pounds|
|Dimension||7.1 x 2.2 x 2 inches|
|Type||Toasted sesame oil|
15. Mister Kim Korean Traditional 100% Sesame Oil
(Best for Soup)
This oil is handcraft expeller pressed to preserve its original flavor and benefits. It is made from high-quality sesame seeds and filtered at least three times before extracted like traditional Korean way.
It tastes very good, fresh, delicious and has light brown color. I can add it to my diet food conveniently and make dishes more flavorful and more healthy.
What surprises me the most is when I add oil to the soup, the soup becomes rich, sweet and tastes better. I highly recommend Mister Kim sesame oil.
It comes in a glass bottle and is well-packaged for shipment.
- Handcraft expeller pressed oil
- High-quality sesame seeds
- Comes in a glass bottle
- Nice and fresh flavor
- Suitable for cooking
- Best for adding into soup
|Item Weight||12 ounces|
Let’s make some chicken soup for dinner:
As you know, there are many options out there for you to choose from. To save time and energy, I write down some useful directions when choosing best sesame oils as below.
- First, start with light sesame oil for cooking and body care activities. Once you get used to the taste of sesame oil, try roasted sesame oil for more flavorful dishes.
- Choose sesame oil products that are extracted by cold press or expeller pressed. These are the two most modern methods today to help preserve the taste and nutrients of oil.
- You should also go for Non-GMO and Certificated Organic Oil.
- If your family does not regularly use sesame oil, you should buy small bottles, use up and then buy the next bottle, do not buy large bottles to avoid waste.
Shelf Life of Sesame Oil
Each product has a certain shelf life. Let’s find out more about that of sesame oil.
- Sesame oil has a shelf life of 1.5 – 2 years from the date of manufacture.
- After opening, sesame oil should be used up in 4-6 months, after this period, you can continue to use sesame oil when it has no signs of damage.
- However, after 4-6 months from opening the bottle, sesame oil will reduce quality very quickly, although you store it properly, it will only slow down the process.
Ways Store Sesame Oil Properly
Sesame oil doesn’t last long. Most manufacturers recommend using sesame oil within one month after opening. Therefore, you should pay attention to ways to store it properly.
- Always put sesame oil in a cool and dark place, away from direct sunlight, do not place near high heat sources such as gas stoves, microwaves …
- When you don’t use it right away, you could store in the kitchen closet, after opening, store in the refrigerator.
- Close the lid to help reduce oxidation, prevent insects and bacteria from entering, so you need to cover the bottle as soon as possible after each use.
Sesame oil brings a smooth, flavorful, nutty taste to your dishes that you can enjoy throughout the day. You might have some questions before making it your daily oil.
My Top Pick
We have just spent some time gathering information about best sesame oils. Above is what I collect during my research. I hope it will be helpful for you to find your sesame oil and get a lot of health benefits from it.
And my choice is Kadoya Pure Sesame Oil for its rich, strong flavor and health benefits.
What about you? You are welcome to share your cooking experiences.